The Umbrella Files
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resident Evil

You are not connected. Please login or register

Edge of extinction

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

1Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Edge of extinction Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:07 pm

ZombeeGurl

ZombeeGurl
Admin

First topic message reminder :

“Inspection.” There was the familiar rap on the bars of her cell that signalled the space was about to be turned upside down in search of smuggled contraband she no longer even had. Astrid Li, a name she was sure had been her parents attempt at humour, given she, like everyone on board the space station currently in orbit above the Earth had been born here, sighed heavily and rose up off the hard cot that functioned as her bed. She stood with her hands pressed to the wall, legs shoulder width apart. It was a daily occurrence; any excuse to bump her up the list of candidates to be sent back to the planet. Humanity had long ago brought its own planet to the brink of extinction, and given that they weren’t developed enough to travel the stars yet... this was the best they could do. The space stations in orbit at the time of the nuclear Holocaust that snuffed out life on Earth were mostly owned and operated by the Chinese government, which explained the abundance of Chinese surnames amongst its populace. As often happened however, the gene pool quickly became so diluted that it had become difficult to pick one race from the other. They had done their best to maintain cultural heritage, but as generations wore on, even that had become difficult. With each generation the children wanted less and less to do with learning about their ancestors. Astrid was no different. She was quickly approaching her eighteenth birthday, and the under the strict law of their space station ark, would be liable for any crime committed to result in death. Prior to coming of age, crimes were punished by imprisonment, but there was no longer any room for that. Thus far any crime, no matter how petty, had been punished. But now the elders were faced with the difficult choice; either reduce what crimes were considered for punishment, or begin killing minors for their crimes. The station had finite resources, and some were arguing that a child that broke the law would only grow into an adult who broke the law, so why prolong their life at the cost of law abiding people? That was when one elder had offered a third option; use them as guinea pigs to test how viable a return to earth would be for the general population. 
So here she was, locked away because she had dared to steal the key to the zero G training chamber for a little late night fun with her friends. She had taken full blame, thinking the fact her mother was on the council of elders would help her. Not a chance, if anything, her punishment was more severe because of this small fact. A point had to be made.

https://umbrellafiles.forumotion.co.uk

31Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:28 am

ZombeeGurl

ZombeeGurl
Admin

Astrid wasn’t as easy a prey as it may have hoped. She jabbed the long piece of shrapnel she held upwards into the roof of the creatures mouth. The young woman let out a low grunt with the effort, refusing alto give her only weapon up so easily.

Soma was much quieter than his younger sibling in his approach. They had found many artefacts of the previous occupants of the planet, and knew they seemed to value war and death rather highly. Though their scientists told them the humans, as they had called themselves, were long gone, he didn’t put such blind faith in their findings.

32Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:52 pm

mjrahabim

mjrahabim
Admin

Aten had seen humans in things he'd found outside their cities. Small pictures and books and even videos. But none of them prepared him for the sight of the dark haired young female slamming a long piece of metal through the skull of a ghosteel. 

Star had made to it to the other edge of the trees before she collapsed. She didn't see that she managed to make it to someone. She only saw a shape. "See?" She breathed. "I can handle myself." She added, falling face first in the mud.

33Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:04 pm

ZombeeGurl

ZombeeGurl
Admin

Astrid stumbled forward a step or two as the creature finally sagged, the life gone from it. She exhaled loudly and pressed a boot against the carcass as she attempted to pull her makeshift weapon free. “Come on, you... useless... piece of...” it gave on that last heave and she landed in her back in the mud.

Soma watched the strange creature for a few moments after it had fallen still. It couldn’t be... could it? He too had seen the artefacts, the images and movies pulled from dusty databanks. “How was there a human here, after all this time? There could be more... and he had no weapon. The scientists would fall over themselves for a living breathing sample, that much was true. She would simply have to be taken as she was, sans a biofield.

34Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:30 pm

mjrahabim

mjrahabim
Admin

Aten turned to see if his brother had seen the spectacle, only to find him gone. In his place were more ghosteels. 
Deciding the human couldn't live without him, he ran for her, looping an arm around her waist and making a run deeper into the woods. 

Star heard soft mumbling as she tried to lift herself off her injured hip. The pain was too much. A piece of the pod was what had been driven into her flesh. She knew she wouldn't have the courage to pull it out.

35Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:35 pm

ZombeeGurl

ZombeeGurl
Admin

Astrid assumed the aid was coming from one of the other pod survivors. It was dark, and she didn’t question as she dared a glance over her shoulder and seeing the glowing eyes fading into the darkness.

Soma saw the odd metal and knew it wasn’t a part of human anatomy. He lifted the slender woman into his arms and quietly retreated into the trees, aware that ghosteels were prowling the area. His skin was cooler than that of a human, and so the little thing in his arms felt alarmingly warm against his chest.

36Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:10 pm

mjrahabim

mjrahabim
Admin

Aten stumbled to a stop on the other side of a wrecked pod. He didn't let go of the female until he was sure they were alone. Unless of course you counted the lifeless, half eaten corpses. "What the hell were you thinking?" He snapped.

Star moaned as she felt herself being lifted up. Agony swept over her and she clung to the thing that she lay against. Surely it was going to end soon.

37Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:15 pm

ZombeeGurl

ZombeeGurl
Admin

Atrid’s mismatched eyes grew wide the moment she saw just who had pulled away from those creatures. Her mouth opened and closed as she clearly tried to pin down a coherent thought before finally she gave up and started looking around for a better weapon.

Soma carefully carried Star through the trees, careful not to jolt the shrapnel in her hip. Unlike his brother, he wasn’t trying to interact with the human. She was a specimen. Something that was assure him a well position within the military now he had finally come of age.

38Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:24 pm

mjrahabim

mjrahabim
Admin

"Have you lost your mind?" Aten asked, doing his best to speak human. "Keep your head down! Those things are still roaming. Get back here!" He again made a grab for the strange girl, his eyes on the largest of the ghosteels sliding across the landscape towards them. "Fuck. Fuck."

Star began to shiver. "I can handle myself." She breathed. "I'm not weak." She could feel herself moving but could do little about it. "Astrid...are you okay?"

39Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:34 pm

ZombeeGurl

ZombeeGurl
Admin

The way Astrid’s eyes were cast downwards slightly betrayed that she was clearly weighing up her options as she assessed her situation. “Those things... they aren’t native, neither are you.” She finally summarised. “Unless... your ancestors survived the nuclear war? Are you a mutant?” She asked, deadly serious.

“Clearly you cannot handle yourself, else you would not be lying in a middle of a ghosteel hunting ground.” Soma remarked stiffly, clearly not accustomed to using the language they were all forced to learn, but rarely used.

40Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:02 pm

mjrahabim

mjrahabim
Admin

"We've been here for a while. The ghosteels have been here since we arrived." Aten told her. He pulled her down as another creature shot out of the trees, screeching loudly. "I didn't pay attention about nuclear war. I'm not sure if that even happened. The humans lied about so many things. It's interesting..." He paused, the large ghosteel snarled as it exited the trees. It sniffed the air, sensing them. "We need to run." He hissed.

Star lifted her head, her mouth falling open when she saw who was speaking. She wanted to chalk it up to her haze of pain. But it simply couldn't be done. "Oh heavens preserve us." She breathed. "What are you?"

41Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:11 pm

ZombeeGurl

ZombeeGurl
Admin

Astrid was scowling at the blue skinned alien, doing her very best to simply accept the situation and not have a full blown panic attack. “Nuclear winter and the fallout are the only reason we’ve been cooped up in space for so many generations no one even counts any more!” She insisted, though she could feel her breathing grow quick snd shallow as the unbidden panic began to grasp her.

“What are you?” Soma countered thinly. “What kind of question is that? Are you entirely savage?” He added, his footsteps careful and quiet, well aware they were not out of range of the ghosteels just yet.

42Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:50 pm

mjrahabim

mjrahabim
Admin

"No fallout." Aten whispered, shaking his head. "Nuclear in some places but not enough to kill off species." He pulled her with him around the pod wreckage. 
The ghosteel swept past them, tearing over the metal. It made a horrible sound. 

"I'm sorry..." Star said softly. "I've never seen anyone a human." She sighed heavily. It was becoming clear she wasn't anything like her father. He could charm a snake with nothing but a smile.

43Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:57 pm

ZombeeGurl

ZombeeGurl
Admin

Astrid screwed her eyes shut at the sound. It was loud. Loud noises weren’t something you encountered often on a space station. “You’re lying. Why else would they keep us up there?” She whispered, though had yet to open her eyes.

“Of course not, a species as primitive as yours, how could you expect to?” Soma asked. “You have an injury. Left untreated your poor immune system will quickly allow you to fall to sepsis.” He added, proving that whatever his species were, they had been around long enough to know how humans worked.

44Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:18 pm

mjrahabim

mjrahabim
Admin

Aten held her against him shielding her with his body as the ghosteel swept over them again. "We will talk later." He gasped out. "But for now...run..." He shoved her in front of him, keeping the beast behind them.

"I'll be okay." Star said weakly. "I have a med kit. And I read a book about nature medicine. I can take care of myself." She smiled up at the strange looking man. "You have nice eyes. Golden...is that normal for your people?"

45Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:59 pm

ZombeeGurl

ZombeeGurl
Admin

Astrid didn’t question it this time as she forced her legs into action and sprinted in the direction she had been pointed. Generations of living in space had left her people in need of less oxygen to function, which currently benefitted her rather well.

“What is normal?” Soma asked, something he had once read in an Earth book. “Golden means I am genetically well suited for war.” He told Star cryptically. “I am sure there is something similar within your own people, given their war mongering ways.”

46Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:50 am

mjrahabim

mjrahabim
Admin

Aten could hear the beast behind him. It was close enough to leave stick saliva on his neck. "I wanted to see a meteor." He grumbled, his hand on the small of the woman's back in front of him. "Head for that groove in the ground. Pull on the first stick you see!" He shouted, trying to focus before he got them killed.

"Blue eyes." Star said, glad she had something to focus on besides pain. "I heard a thing about them being the symbol for leadership. It's bullshit. I think your eyes mean you're kind. Blue eyes mean you're nasty and cruel."

47Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:37 pm

ZombeeGurl

ZombeeGurl
Admin

Astrid was wise enough not to question what he was shouting at her, but hit something concealed in the leaves as she did what her companion instructed, pulling the first stick her fingers found as she hit the ground. She felt the sharp pain ripple through her upper thigh as the flesh was sliced open, a blaring beacon to whatever was chasing them.

“I see.” Soma seemed to think this over before a slow smile finally tugged at his lips. “You hate authority.” He assumed. “I wasn’t making up some childish fairytale about my eyes, girl. In my species, genetics truly does dictate what you do. Golden eyes, military, fighter... strong. Black eyes...” His voice trailed off, thinking of his little brother, of the dangers a curious mind would get him into.

48Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:36 pm

mjrahabim

mjrahabim
Admin

Aten kept running, trying to lead the ghosteel away from the woman. But that was not to be. The moment she got cut it paused, smelling the air. "A strange new flavor. I shall taste it." The creature purred.

"Black eyes?" Star asked gently. "Let me guess. They are for the thinkers. The curious ones? And everyone hates them because they think differently. And for your information, I don't hate authority. My father is president."

49Edge of extinction - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge of extinction Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:14 pm

ZombeeGurl

ZombeeGurl
Admin

Astrid was cursing loudly when she saw the blood. E had read enough of her father’s science books to know blood would lead any predator right to her, never mind something as alien as whatever that thing was. She tugged hard at the sleeve of her t shirt, grunting when it didn’t tear as easily as she hoped. Several frustrated rugs later she had torn a piece large enough to press to the wound in an effort to quell the bleeding.

“Academics.” Soma corrected gruffly, knowing his brother would be overly fond of being referred to as a ‘curious one’. “You sound just like him... romantic notions beat left in children’s books where they belong.” He snorted. “And it makes what your father is. President, that is some sort of official?”

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum